Can I upload large files to OneDrive?
“I have a 500GB external drive full of data. I need to use this drive so, since I have 1TB of storage in OneDrive, I want to upload the content to free up the drive. I have a quite good connection too, so I figured it wouldn't take too long. The thing is that how do I upload large number of files to OneDrive efficiently?
How do I upload large files to OneDrive?
Some users who are not familiar with OneDrive may be confused about how to upload large files to OneDrive. In fact, the method of uploading large files is the same as the method of uploading ordinary files. You only need to figure out the file size limitations of different upload methods and choose the appropriate method to upload your large files.
As we all know, OneDrive provides users with different ways to upload files to OneDrive. Generally, you are allowed to upload files through its official web app, desktop app, mobile app as well as OneDrive folder on your PC. However, there are some limitations on file size. And the file size limitation is various from different uploading ways.
Since the Please read on and check the upload methods below, we will explain the file size limit of each method and show you how to upload large files on OneDrive in 5 different ways. You can choose the best way you think to upload large files to OneDrive.
Way 1. Upload large files to OneDrive via OneDrive web app
Generally, depending on the web browser you use, you can upload files to OneDrive that are up to 100GB in size (This limit is per file, not total). If you use the latest version of Microsoft Edge or other popular web browsers, you can upload files up to 100GB in size. If you use an older web browser, the maximum file size is 300 MB.
1. On the OneDrive website, sign in with your Microsoft account.
2. On the main page of OneDrive, click "Upload" option to select the files you want to upload to OneDrive and then click on “Open”.
3. The upload will start. When complete you will see your uploaded folder in your OneDrive
✎Note: In the Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge browser, you can also upload folders from the “Folder” option on the “Upload” menu, or drag folders to the website.
How to upload large files on OneDrive using the web app has been shown above. This way is feasible but is also very unreliable. The OneDrive web app will stop working more often than not. Besides, if it stops, the upload has to start from the beginning. Therefore, to upload large number of files to OneDrive, you are recommended to add the files to the OneDrive via the desktop app rather than the website.
Way 2. Upload large files to OneDrive via OneDrive desktop app
If you have Windows 7, Windows Vista, or a Mac, you can install the free OneDrive desktop app to add files and folders to OneDrive automatically from your PC without having to go to the OneDrive website. You can upload files up to 100GB in size if you use the OneDrive app. If you sign in with a work or school account, the maximum file size is 15GB. It’s also worth noting that OneNote notebooks saved in OneDrive are limited to 2GB.
1. Download the OneDrive desktop application and install it.
✎Note: If you're using Windows 10, your computer already has the OneDrive app installed.
2. Open the OneDrive program on your computer and sign in your OneDrive account.
3. Select a location for your OneDrive folder and then select the folders that you want to sync across the local PC and the cloud.
4. After setting, an OneDrive folder will be created on your computer. You find this folder in Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder and drag files or folder to into this OneDrive folder to let OneDrive sync them to the cloud automatically.
Way 3. Upload large files to OneDrive by OneDrive mobile app
You can also upload large files to OneDrive using the OneDrive mobile app for Android, iOS, or Windows Phone. However, because of the limitation of mobile phone memory, it is relatively rare to upload large files from mobile devices. If needed, you can follow the steps to upload large files to OneDrive by OneDrive mobile app. You can also upload files up to 100GB in this way.
1. Install the OneDrive app on your mobile device from Google Play or App Store.
2. After installing, log-in to your OneDrive Account.
3. In the OneDrive app, tap OneDrive add icon at the top of the screen.
4. Tap to the "Upload" option and then select the files you want to upload to OneDrive.
Way 4. Upload large files to OneDrive via third-party tool
Actually, there are some free and powerful third-party tools that can help you upload large files to OneDrive automatically and quickly without file size limitation. You are recommended to use AOMEI Backupper Standard, which is a free Windows backup software. This way may be the fastest way to upload large files to OneDrive among the 4 ways.
✎Note: Download the OneDrive app on your computer so that AOMEI Backupper Standard can recognize it as the backup destination.
1. Download AOMEI Backupper and follow the wizard to finish the installation. It will be installed in a short time.
2. Run AOMEI Backupper Standard and click the "Backup" tab. Scroll down your mouse to find "File Sync" and click it.
3. Click “Add Folder”. In the pop-up window, click “Share/NAS” > “Add Network Location” to Type the NAS path of My Cloud and click “OK”. After My Cloud has been added, all the folders under it will be listed. Choose one folder to be synchronized and click “OK”.
4. Click the inverted triangle at the right edge of the second column and choose “Select a cloud drive” and select OneDrive.
5. Confirm the source folder and the destination path. Click “Start Sync”.
Bonus tip: How to get more OneDrive storage space for free?
As mentioned above, OneDrive offers only 5GB free storage space, which may be not enough for you to backup files to OneDrive regularly. If you are not ready to pay for an advanced plan with larger storage space, you can use a multiple cloud storage manager like cBackupper to add and merge OneDrive accounts and combine the backup space of several OneDrive accounts on one interface and enjoy more free backup storage space.
1. Create an account and sign in. Just go to the main page of cBackupper, click “Sign up” at the upper right side, then type your email, password, and name. After that, sign in your account.
2. Navigate to the Clouds tab, click "Add Clouds" at the bottom of My Clouds, select "OneDrive" and click "OK" to add this drive. You can add OneDrive accounts as many as you have.
3. After adding, all your OneDrive accounts are listed here. With only one login, you can allocate and make full use of their backup storage space or backup your files between them freely.
Uploading large files to OneDrive can be an easy way if you choose the most suitable way according to your needs. All of the ways above can help you upload large files from your local storage to OneDrive efficiently, but if you want to backup files automatically, you’d better rely on OneDrive desktop app or AOMEI Backupper Standard.