Can I sync Google Photos to PC?
“Now that the ability to sync photos between photos and drive has been taken away, what is the solution to keep automatically sync Google Photos to PC so that photos taken with a mobile device and backed up to Google Photos are automatically available locally on a computer?”
Why sync photos from Google Photos to PC?
As mentioned in the case, many users store photos and videos in Google Photos to make them safe and easy to use. Generally, Google Photos will automatically upload and back up every photo you ever take on a mobile device and extract every image it finds on your computers as long as there is an internet connection.
However, in addition to uploading files from the local to Google Photos, sometimes users also need to download photos from Google Photos to the PC because they may want to view some photos locally on PC that taken with a mobile device and backed up to Google Photos. Or, some users just want to set up a two-way sync between Google Photos and PC to protect photos.
To save time and effort, users may want a way that can sync Google Photos to PC automatically without downloading and uploading. If you are seeking this way, please read on, the following content will show you how to sync Google Photos to PC via Backup and Sync photos automatically with simple steps.
How do I auto sync photos from Google Photos to PC?
As we all know, Google has an automatic sync tool called Backup and Sync, which can easily and reliably help users sync Google Photos with PC. Here are the steps to set up Backup and Sync on your PC to sync photos from Google Photos to PC:
1. On your computer, download and install Backup and Sync, install, and start the app.
2. Click on “Get Started” and sign in to the Google Account that you use for Google Photos.
3. Choose whether you want to just back up photos and videos, or other files as well. Choose the folders you want to back up or store the Google photos to and select upload size under “Photo & Video upload size”. And then click “Next”.
Note: You can select either High Quality for a reduced file size at great quality, or Original Quality to keep the original photo’s size and resolution. The latter counts against your Google quota, which for the free version caps at 15GB.
4. When you come to “Google Drive” interface, select “Sync only these folders”. It’ll display a list of folders. Select “Google Photos” and click on “Start”.
The photos will now start downloading to your desktop on your computer. If you have many large photos, this process can take longer.
However, we need to remind you that you may encounter Google Backup and Sync stuck issues sometimes. If you meet this issue, don't be panic, you can refer to this guide: Fix Google Backup and Sync Stuck.
Manual ways to backup photos from Google Photos to PC
You can also download photos from Google Photos using your browser to local folder on your desktop. Or, you can also download data from Google Photos archive from Google Takeout to download all your data at once. Please read on to learn the detailed steps.
1. Download photos through the website – Selectively
1. On your computer, open photos.google.com.
2. Find and select your photos or video. Click “More option”.
3. Choose “Download” to download photos to PC.
2. Download photos through Google Takeout – all data at once
Google allows you to export and download your data including email, documents, calendar, photos, Tube videos, and so on from the Google products you use. And the data will not be deleted from Google’s servers if you download your Google data.
1. Go to the Google Takeout page. Google products that have your data are automatically selected. Tick the box of Google Photos to include it in your download archive. Select “Next step”.
2. Customize your archive format. Choose the delivery method, frequency, file type, and size as you like. Choose the maximum size archive you want to create. If the data you’re downloading is larger than this size, multiple archives will be created.
3. When your archive is created by using one of these options, Google will email you a link to its location. You can download the archive to PC directly.
Bonus tip: how to get more free storage space for photos?
As you know, if you can select Original Quality to keep the original photo’s size and resolution, that will count against your Google quota, which for the free version caps at 15GB. And Google claims that they will no longer offer unlimited storage space service on June 1, 2021. The photos and videos you upload after that data will count against Google quota even if they are of high quality. So, if you are a primary account, free space will be run out in a very short time.
If you don’t want to upgrade your Google account, you can try a free tool to merge Google Drive accounts for more free storage. To achieve that, you can rely on a free cloud manager like CBackupper, which can help you add multiple Google Drive accounts on one interface and combine all your Google Drive cloud storage into one to take full use of all your free cloud storage.
Let's see how to use CBackupper to expand your free space available:
1. Get started to create an account and sign in. Just go to the main page of CBackupper, then type your email, password, and name.
2. Add your Google Drive cloud storage account by clicking “Add Clouds” under “Clouds” tab. Then sign in your account and authorize CBackupper to access and manage your Google Drive accounts.
3. Now, you complete the entire process of adding cloud drives. To add more clouds, you just need to repeat the above steps. With only one login, you can allocate and combine the space of each account to make full use of their storage space.
By the way, if you do not want to upgrade your account just because you are not satisfied with the storage plan options provided by Google, you can directly turn to another cloud backup for photos such as the CBackupper PC client. It offers a huge backup space and a 15-day free trial, you can try it.
According to the contents above, we can see that syncing Google Photos to PC is not a hard job. You can follow the step-by-step guide to set up Google automatic desktop sync tool – Backup and Sync on your PC to sync Google Photos with your PC automatically and easily. If you don't want to upgrade your Google account but need more storage space, you can try the CBackupper web app to combine storage space or turn to the CBackupper PC client directly.