OneDrive App Displays Error Code 0x8004de40!
“Today, when I attempted to sign in to my OneDrive account on the Desktop, I get an OneDrive
error code 0x8804de40, which shows "There was a problem connecting to OneDrive". I
checked my internet, but all other internet-based services appear normal. I have no idea
about this error code, can you provide me with some suggestions?"
How to Fix OneDrive Error Code 0x8004de40 in Windows 10?
Actually, the "There was a problem connecting to OneDrive 0x8004de40" error
indicates that the OneDrive app is facing some connectivity issues. If your OneDrive app
displays this error, you should check and change some settings of the internet.
If you are facing this error code, don't be panic. Here, we will explain 5 different ways
to help you get this issue fixed, and introduce you an effective way to protect your
OneDrive data with CBackupper in the paragraphs below.
Fix 1. Check Your Internet
According to Microsoft, the error code 0x8004de40 that shows "There was a problem
connecting to OneDrive" on OneDrive means the app is having difficulties connecting to
the cloud. And the major cause of this is a poor or unstable internet connection. To clear
this error, the first thing to do is to confirm your internet connection by the following
1. Ensure that the cable is properly plugged in. If it is a wireless connection, confirm that
your router is up and running smoothly. You could also try rebooting your router.
2. Launch your web browser and open a couple of webpages. If your browser successfully loads
the pages, that means there's no problem with your internet connection.
☛If there is something wrong
with your internet, please try to fix 2 or fix 3 to solve your internet connection problem.
☛If your internet connection
is working perfectly and you're able to use the internet with every other app on your PC
except OneDrive, then you should turn to fix 4/5/6 directly to clear the 0x8004de40 error
Fix 2. Change the Internet
The TLS 1.0 and above is a security protocol that helps in establishing encryption channels
over the computer network. Your OneDrive client may not function properly when these
protocols are disabled. You can follow the steps below to enable the TLS 1.0 and above in
1. Press Windows Key + R to open Run.
2. Type inetcpl.cpl and click OK to open the Internet
3. On the Internet Properties window, open the Advanced tab.
4. Under Settings, scroll down and find the following options and check their boxes:
Use TLS 1.0
Use TLS 1.1
Use TLS 1.2
5. Click Apply and OK to save the changes. Reboot your
computer and check for the occurrence of the error.
Fix 3. Disable the Proxy Settings
1. Press Windows Key + R to open Run.
Then, type inetcpl.cpl and hit Enter to continue.
2. Go to the Connections tab and click on LAN settings.
3. Here, mark the Automatically detect settings option and unmark the option
Use a proxy server for your LAN respectively.
4. Click on Apply and then OK to implement the changes
Fix 4. Reset Windows Socket
One of the most common and effective troubleshooting solutions for network and connectivity
issues on a Windows computer is resetting the Windows Socket (shortly called Winsock).
Winsock may the reason why your OneDrive can use the internet. If your internet connection
is strong and stable but some of your apps cannot access the network, resetting the Winsock
could help fix the issue.
1. Type cmd in the search box.
2. Right-click on Command Prompt option and select Run as
3. In the Command Prompt, type the following command and hit Enter.
netsh winsock reset catalog
4. Once the command is successfully executed, close the command prompt and restart your
Fix 5. Reset OneDrive
When an app or program on your Windows PC starts to misbehave or function abnormally, one of
the quickest fixes is to reset the app. Doing this takes the app back to the default state
it was when you newly installed it on your computer. Resetting the OneDrive app could also
help clear the 0x8004de40 error, and here's how to go about it.
☛Resetting OneDrive doesn’t
affect the personal data, it just re-sync the data to OneDrive.
☛Resetting an app might
delete some of the app's data, settings, and other saved preferences. This means you
might have to set-up the OneDrive app from scratch i.e. re-enter your login credentials and
reconfigure your preferences.
1. Press Windows Key + R to open Run.
2. Enter or paste the command: %localappdata%\\Microsoft\\OneDrive\\onedrive.exe
/reset into the box and hit Enter on your keyboard or tap OK.
This command would reset your OneDrive app.
3. Paste this command: %localappdata%\\Microsoft\\OneDrive\\onedrive.exe
into the Run dialog box and tap OK to quickly launch OneDrive after the
reset process, and OneDrive should run smoothly without any error message.
✎Note: You are
recommended to restart your computer after resetting the OneDrive app.
Bonus Tips About OneDrive Problem
Tip 1. Backup your OneDrive data in advance
Although OneDrive is one of the best cloud storage and backup solutions for Windows
computers, it still has some occasional glitches. Besides error code 0x8004de40, you may
meet error code 2, error code 6 also and you
still face the risk of data loss. Therefore, to protect your files, you’d better backup your
OneDrive files to other cloud drives with a free cloud backup tool
The web app of CBackupper allows you to move files between cloud
storage including OneDrive, Dropbox, and Google Drive. To use it, you just need to
create an account on the website and log in without downloading any app. Now, follow the
steps below to try it.
1. Create a CBackupper account freely and sign
2. Add and authorize your Dropbox account under the “Clouds” tab. Choose the
OneDrive icon and click “OK”. Then follow the instructions to go to the
OneDrive website to grant access to CBackupper.
3. Click on “Tasks” tab at the top of the page, then, click “Create
Task” button to create backup task.
4. Name your backup task, click “Add Source” button to add OneDrive as the
backup source. Similarly, click “Add Destination” button to add another
cloud drive as the backup destination. Then, click "Start Backup”.
Tip 2. Turn to an OneDrive alternative to avoid problems thoroughly
Actually, OneDrive or other mainstream cloud storage like Google Drive or Dropbox may have
many unexpected errors and you can't fix them successfully sometimes. Therefore, if you
are tired of handling these problems, you can turn to a more stable and secure cloud backup
To back up and protect your PC files, CBackupper can also offer help. The PC client of
CBackupper is designed for Windows cloud backup especially. It offers 1000 GB backup space
at a very reasonable price as well as a 15-day free trial. You can download it and try it
first to see if it can meet your requirements.
1. Download and install the CBackupper PC client for free.
2. Create a CBackupper account and sign in.
3. Click on the Task tab and click on the New Task button.
4. Click on Add Source to select the PC files that you want to backup to
As you can see, fix the OneDrive error code 0x8004de40 is very easy and simple to do. You can
follow the fixes one by one to solve OneDrive problems, but there is no guarantee of
So, according to the 3-2-1 data backup
strategy, you are recommended to backup your files with CBackupper web app or turn to
CBackupper PC client directly. With CBackupper, you will not have any more problems in
accessing your backup file or losing your important files. Don’t hesitate to use it.