5 Fixes to OneDrive Error Code 0x8004de40 in Windows
This article will show you how to fix OneDrive connectivity error code 0x8004de40 in 5 ways. Please keep reading to learn the detailed steps.
“Today, when I attempted to sign in to my OneDrive account on the Desktop, I get an OneDrive error code 0x8804de40, which shows "There was a problem connecting to OneDrive". I checked my internet, but all other internet-based services appear normal. I have no idea about this error code, can you provide me with some suggestions? "
Actually, "There was a problem connecting to OneDrive 0x8004de40" error indicates that the OneDrive app is facing some connectivity issues. If your OneDrive app displays this error, you should check and change some settings of the internet. If you are facing this error code, don't be panic. Here, we will explain 5 different ways to help you get this issue fixed, and introduce you an effective way to protect your OneDrive data with cBackupper in the paragraphs below.
According to Microsoft, the error code 0x8004de40 that shows "There was a problem connecting to OneDrive" on OneDrive means the app is having difficulties connecting to the cloud. And the major cause of this is a poor or unstable internet connection. To clear this error, the first thing to do is to confirm your internet connection by the following two methods.
1. Ensure that the cable is properly plugged in. If it is a wireless connection, confirm that your router is up and running smoothly. You could also try rebooting your router.
2. Launch your web browser and open a couple of webpages. If your browser successfully loads the pages, that means there's no problem with your internet connection.
If there are something wrong with your internet, please try fix 2 or fix 3 to solve your internet connection problem.
If your internet connection is working perfectly and you're able to use the internet with every other app on your PC except OneDrive, then you should turn to fix 4/5/6 directly to clear the 0x8004de40 error code.
The TLS 1.0 and above is a security protocol that helps in establishing encryption channels over the computer network. Your OneDrive client may not function properly when these protocols are disabled. You can follow the steps below to enable the TLS 1.0 and above in Internet Properties.
1. Press Windows Key + R to open Run.
2. Type inetcpl.cpl and click OK to open the Internet Properties window.
3. On the Internet Properties window, open the Advanced tab.
4. Under Settings, scroll down and find the following options and check their boxes:
Use TLS 1.0
Use TLS 1.1
Use TLS 1.2
5. Click Apply and OK to save the changes. Reboot your computer and check for the occurrence of the error.
1. Press Windows Key + R to open Run. Then, type inetcpl.cpl and hit Enter to continue.
2. Go to the Connections tab and click on LAN settings.
3. Here, mark the Automatically detect settings option and unmark the option Use a proxy server for your LAN respectively.
4. Click on Apply and then OK to implement the changes right away.
One of the most common and effective troubleshooting solutions for network and connectivity issues on a Windows computer is resetting the Windows Socket (shortly called Winsock). Winsock may the reason why your OneDrive can use the internet. If your internet connection is strong and stable but some of your apps cannot access the network, resetting the Winsock could help fix the issue.
1. Type cmd in the search box.
2. Right-click on Command Prompt option and select Run as Administrator.
3. In the Command Prompt, type the following command and hit Enter.
netsh winsock reset catalog
4. Once the command is successfully executed, close the command prompt and restart your PC.
When an app or program on your Windows PC starts to misbehave or function abnormally, one of the quickest fixes is to reset the app. Doing this takes the app back to the default state it was when you newly installed it on your computer. Resetting the OneDrive app could also help clear the 0x8004de40 error, and here's how to go about it.
Resetting OneDrive doesn’t affect the personal data, it just re-sync the data to OneDrive.
Resetting an app might delete some of the app's data, settings, and other saved preferences. This means you might have to set-up the OneDrive app from scratch i.e. re-enter your login credentials and reconfigure your preferences.
1. Press Windows Key + R to open Run.
2. Enter or paste the command: %localappdata%\\Microsoft\\OneDrive\\onedrive.exe /reset into the box and hit Enter on your keyboard or tap OK. This command would reset your OneDrive app.
3. Paste this command: %localappdata%\\Microsoft\\OneDrive\\onedrive.exe into the Run dialog box and tap OK to quickly launch OneDrive after the reset process, and OneDrive should run smoothly without any error message.
✎Note: You are recommended to restart your computer after resetting the OneDrive app.
Although OneDrive is one of the best cloud storage and backup solutions for Windows computers, it still has some occasional glitches. Besides error code 0x8004de40, you may meet error code 2, error code 6 also and you still face the risk of data loss. Therefore, to protect your files, you’d better backup your OneDrive files to other cloud drive with free cloud backup tool like cBackupper.
cBackupper is a free web-based services that allows you to move files between cloud storage including OneDrive, Dropbox, and Google Drive. To use it, you just need to create an account in website and log in without downloading any app. Now, follow the steps below to try it.
1. Create a cBackupper account freely and sign in.
2. Add and authorize your Dropbox account under the “Clouds” tab. Choose OneDrive icon and click “OK”. Then follow the instructions to go to OneDrive website to grant access to cBackupper.
3. Click on “Tasks” tab at the top of the page, then, click “Create Task” button to create backup task.
4. Name your backup task, click “Add Source” button to add OneDrive as the backup source. Similarly, click “Add Destination” button to add another cloud drive as the backup destination. Then, click "Start Backup”.
As you can see, fix the OneDrive error code 0x8004de40 is very easy and simple to do. You can follow the fixes one by one to solve onedrive problems, but there is no guarantee of success. So, you are recommended to backup your files with cBackupper.
With cBackupper, you will not have any more problems in accessing your backup file or losing your important files. And it is available on all the devices and can fulfill your different demands in different cases. Don’t hesitate to use it.