How do I download a backup from Google Drive?
“My old phone got ruined a month ago. I had a lot of important and personal items on it, so I
was glad to find out that there is a backup of my old phone on my Google Drive account. The
problem is that I don't know how to get backup from Google Drive to my new phone or my
PC. Is there any way to restore backup from Google Drive? Thanks a lot.”
Google Drive is widely used as a file storage service, and it
can easily back up the data in the device, whether it is photos, contacts or emails. But you
may face the situation of upgrading a new device, resetting the device, or switching other
storage services. You can easily restore the data through Google Drive to continue your
Follow the content to learn how to get backup data from Google Drive.
Full guide to get backup from Google Drive
There are different ways to obtain backup data from Google on different devices. The tutorial
in this chapter covers three devices: Android device, iOS, and computer. Keep reading to
learn about the specific steps.
#1. How to restore backup
from Google Drive to Android?
☛Way 1. Restore
Synced Data from Google Server
If Google Backup is enabled on your device, recovering the synced data from the Google server
after data loss is an easy task. Take recovery photos as an example:
1. Open the Google Drive app on your Android device.
2. Tap the More icon at the top left corner of the screen
and choose Google Photos.
3. Select the photos to be restored or Select all, click
the download icon to restore them to the Android device.
☛Way 2. Restore
Android from Google Drive
Almost all Androids are equipped with Google Drive services. If you reset or change your
phone to a new device, you can restore Android from Google Drive according to the following
1. Start the new Android device and connect to Wi-Fi.
2. In the Bring your data from... page, select A backup from the
cloud, then sign in with Google account and click I
3. In the Choose a backup to restore page, select an
available backup, and choose the items you want to restore, and click
4. Follow the remaining steps to complete the initial setup.
#2. How to recover backup
from Google Drive to iOS?
If you enable Google Drive on iOS, you can easily restore iOS contacts, photos, and calendars
from Google backup.
1. Go to Settings > Account & Password on your device, click Add
Account, and choose Google to sign in your Google Drive account.
2. Enable the option you want to restore, and click Save to confirm your
How to get backup from Google Drive to PC?
☛Way 1. Get backup
from Google Drive via downloading
If you just need to retrieve individual lost files, downloading this part of the data from
the Google Drive web page is the easiest way. Here is how to download the backup from Google
1. Navigate to Google Drive web page, and sign
in with your Google account.
2. Select the files to be restored from Google Drive, right-click to select them, and click
Download to store on the local hard drive.
☛Way 2. Get backup
from Google Drive with Google Takeout
It would be troublesome to restore all the data stored in Google by downloading. Google
Takeout can help you download the entire My Drive at once. Follow the steps below to learn
how to restore a backup from Google Drive to PC in one go.
1. Navigate to Google Takeout, click
Deselect all and tick the checkbox at the right side of
Drive, then click Next Step.
2. In the next window, you can customize your archive format by selecting the Delivery Method
and the File Type, then click Create archive.
3. After the archive is completed, the download link will be sent via email, you can download
it as a zip archive and store it on your local hard drive.
Merge Google Drive accounts
for more backup space
No matter what type of device you use Google Drive as a data storage service, the 15GB of
free space it provides is not enough. If you have multiple accounts, you can merge
Google Drive accounts to get more space without paying for storage.
The professional cloud backup tool - CBackupper can
help you complete this operation. It supports merging the storage in multiple cloud drive
accounts to form a larger space, and you can back up important data to this complete space.
1. Create a CBackupper
account for free and sign in.
2. Add and authorize your Google Drive accounts by clicking Add Clouds under
the Clouds tab.
bases on a standard OAuth system that can ensure your account’s security. There is no need
to worry about personal information data disclosure.
3. Then modify the display name and
allocate space for backup by clicking Allocate, tick the checkbox before
Note, and click OK to confirm.
4. All added cloud drive accounts will be listed under My Clouds, and you can also check the
combined total space and used space.
That’s all how to get backup from Google Drive, no matter you use Android device, iOS, or
computer, you can find the corresponding method in the article. What’s more, I recommend you
to Google Drive by merging multiple accounts with CBackupper, it can help you
combine cloud storage into one for more backup space.