Duplicate files appear in Google Drive
Google Drive is one of the most popular cloud storage services that you can save documents, images, videos, archives and other files to it. However, it has a storage space limit. It provides 15 GB of free storage for each registered user, if you want to get more storage space, you need to pay for an advanced plan.
If you use Google Drive on a regular basis, you’ll be shocked by the number of duplicate files you have there and the amount of space they occupy. Duplicate files are exact copies of files that are already on your Google Drive. Generally, when you upload a file to Google Drive, if there is already a file with the same name and format in your Google Drive, you will get the Duplicate file upload warning message and the duplicate copy will be skipped.
However, duplicates still appear if you rename the file but still create its copy as you do not make any edits. In addition, your team members may upload duplicate content if they don’t know that you’ve already uploaded it.
Why remove duplicates in Google Drive?
15 GB free storage seems to be a generous amount, but you may run out it sooner or later. For some users who don’t want to upgrade their account, freeing up some storage in Google Drive is their first choice.
As we all know, duplicated files can waste quite a bit of your Google Drive storage space, so, removing duplicate files from Google Drive is a good way to free up your storage space and avoid surpassing the limit of your account.
Besides that, deleting duplicate files in Google Drive can also help you get rid of duplications of your work so that you can spend less time organizing files library and can organize documents in a better way. In addition, by cleaning duplicates, you save time and bandwidth consumed while synchronizing files using the Google Drive desktop application.
How to delete duplicate files in Google Drive manually?
Actually, Google Drive doesn’t offer any options to search for duplicate files so you have to find the duplicates one by one and delete them manually. Now, let’s see how to get rid of useless duplicate files in Google Drive manually. For this, take the following steps:
1. Open your Google Drive account. Click List View on the upper right corner.
2. Now, all your files are listed here. Long press the control key and click all useless replicas, which start with “Copy of…” or have the same name and a number in the brackets.
3. Right-click any of the selected file and click on Remove to delete all selected duplicate files at once.
✎Note: Duplicate files may be difficult to find if the filenames have been changed.
How to delete duplicate files in Google Drive automatically?
Carrying out this task manually will surely be very tiring as well as can never be deemed a hundred percent accurate unless you have very little data on your Google Drive account. So, you can rely on a third-party tool like Cloud Duplicate Finder to detect and remove duplicates automatically and quickly.
✎Note: Cloud Duplicate Finder is a web-based app that can work on both computer and mobile devices such as an Android phone.
1. Go to https://www.cloudduplicatefinder.com/. Click Create an Account. Log in to your account.
2. Select GoogleDrive in the left panel, click Add New Drive. Sign in to your Google Account and click Allow to continue.
3. Select one or more Google Drive folders to scan for duplicate files. Click Scan. Once the scan is completed, the result window will pop up showing you the scan result. Click OK.
4. In the main screen, you can manually mark the files you don’t want to keep. Or, you can click the Select Duplicates dropdown list at the bottom to choose the selection option you need.
5. Click Select Action > Permanent Delete to get rid of duplicate photos, documents and other duplicates in Google Drive.
Additional information you may want to learn
Part 1. How to avoid duplicate files in Google Drive?
There are some tips to prevent unnecessary duplicate files from appearing:
☛Synchronization is a popular way to keep away from the duplicates on Google Drive.
☛If you need to edit the shared files, please use only the Google Docs version to avoid duplicates.
☛Please be mindful of the files you have manually backed up and make sure you are not uploading a duplicate one.
Part 2. How to set up Backup and Sync from Google?
As mentioned above, synchronization is a popular way to keep away from the duplicates on Google Drive. If you don’t know how to set up automatic sync, you can refer to the steps below.
1. Download and install Backup and Sync. Open it and click Get Started. Sign in using your Google account.
2. Select the option Back up all file types. Click Next. Now you can choose the folder(s) to continuously back up to Google Photos and Google Drive based on your need. Click Start.
Part 3. How to get more backup space?
Way 1. Combine the free storage of multiple Google Drive accounts
If you want to get more free Google Drive cloud storage for free, professional cloud manager - CBackupper can offer help to you. It is a free and web-based tool that allows you to add and merge Google Drive accounts to combine your Google Drive cloud storage into one. In this way, you can take full use of all your free cloud storage on multiple accounts.
1. Create an account and sign in. Just go to the main page of CBackupper, then type your email, password, and name to create an account.
2. Add your cloud storage accounts owning to one or different cloud drives. Click “Add Clouds” under “Clouds” tab, select your clouds (here is Google Drive) and click “OK”. Then sign in your account and authorize CBackupper to access and manage your Google Drive files.
3. To add more clouds, you just need to repeat the above steps. And you’d better change the default name to a unique one for distinguish. When you add the accounts, you can click the three-dot icon next to each cloud drives and select “Allocate Space” to adjust your storage allocation flexibly.
Way 2. Turn to another cloud backup with a larger backup space
Besides the free way above, you can also get more backup space by paying for an advanced plan. However, if you just need large backup storage temporarily, you can get help from CBackupper. Except for the free web version, CBackupper also offers a PC client that allows you to backup PC files to its AOMEI Cloud with 1000 GB storage space. The most important thing is that it offers a 15-days free trial and cheap storage plans. 1000 GB costs $6.00/month and $60.00/year only. Now, download it and have a try:
1. Download and install the CBackupper PC client on your Windows PC.
2. Run the software. Then, sign up for a CBackupper account and sign in.
3. Click on the Task tab and click on the New Task button.
4. Click on Add Source and find the SD card folder on your computer and then look for the files on your SD card that you want to back up. After selecting, click Start Backup.
You can remove Google Drive duplicates through the manual way or automatic way and learn how to avoid duplicates in the feature according to the contents above. And if you want to get more Google Drive storage for free, you can use CBackupper to merge your Google Drive accounts to expand the Google Drive storage easily and effectively. Besides the cloud combining function, you can also download the PC client of CBackupper to enjoy a huge backup space for free in 15 days, don’t hesitate to try it.